Dan Dan Noodles (担担面)
by thrivingonplants 🌶❤️
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 10 min
2 serves of thin wheat noodles
1 bunch bokchoy or greens of your choice
2 tbsp Chinese sesame paste (if you can’t find this, substitute for tahini)
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce (optional, for colour)
2 tsp black vinegar
3 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns (toasted on a frypan then finely ground, add more if desired)
2 tbsp chilli oil (with chilli flakes), adjust to taste
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP)
1/2 tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp minced ginger
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp shaoxing wine
1/3-1/2 cup asian vegetable stock (I whisked boiling water + a spoon of Asian mushroom stock powder)
Toasted sesame seeds
1. Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Cook your noodles according to packet instructions. One minute before the noodles cook through, put in the bokchoy. Drain and rinse with cold water and set aside.
2. In a small bowl whisk together the sauce ingredients until well combined.
3. To make the mince, add the TVP into a small bowl. Pour enough boiling water to cover the TVP and allow to sit until reconstituted and softened.
4. Heat the oil in a frypan over medium high heat. Add in the garlic and TVP and fry for 1-2 minutes. Add in the soy sauce and shaoxing wine and fry off until dry.
5. To serve, divide the sauce evenly into two bowls. Top with your noodles and blanched greens and divide the hot veggie stock into each bowl (around the sides of the noodles, this helps thin out the sauce a little for the perfect consistency). Garnish with chilli oil, green onions and sesame seeds. Mix very well to coat the noodles in the sauce and enjoy immediately!